- This opportunity has passed.
The Spirits Speak
October 5, 2018 @ 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
One event on October 6, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 7, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 13, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 19, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 20, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 26, 2018 at 5:00 pm
One event on October 27, 2018 at 5:00 pm
This October, Essex Heritage will present The Spirits Speak, a historically accurate recreation of a Victorian-era seance produced and performed by acclaimed local magician Evan Northrup. Drawing from popular pastimes and performances of the period, this program is intended to highlight the Victorian interest in spiritualism and its integration into popular magic and theater of the day. Through the clever use of illusions and stage magic, the audience will witness the techniques used by mediums and mentalists of the period.
Volunteers will be needed to assist with front-of-house duties before, during, and after the performances. Volunteer roles are:
- Main entrance information: Seated or standing outside the side entrance of the Visitor Center to answer questions and promote the event.
- Main entrance security: Positioned at the side door and responsible for not allowing the general public inside without tickets or interest in buying tickets. They will also be checking bags at the entrance. Will need to keep out those who are visibly intoxicated and direct people to the porta-potties.
- Ticket sales and check-in: To sell tickets to the event for those that have not yet purchased and check in anyone who has already purchased tickets. These staff will be located at a table in front of the auditorium. They will hand out souvenir tickets and stamp hands for entry.
- Gatekeeper: To float around the lobby to answer questions for visitors and help with crowd control and checking tickets. This position is a utility player.
- Ushers/performance: To direct guests to seats and to stand inside the theater with flashlights in case of emergency. As the show is ending, they will direct guests out of the theater through the side door. These staff may also be needed for certain effects during the show.
Shift times will vary depending on the date and role; shifts will start no earlier than 5pm and end no later than 10pm.
Ryan at email@example.com or 978-740-0444.